April 21

Joshua 22:21-23:16, Luke 20:27-4, Psalm 89:14-37, Proverbs 13:17-19


Pray: God, sometimes I want to be honored. Sometimes I want to be recognized. All too often I think I’m a big deal. I want to win. I want to be first. Lord, help me to understand that in being least and last I can tap into your grace and really find myself complete and satisfied. Exalting myself is not the way to happiness. Exalting You while serving others is the way to fullness of joy.


Read: In Luke chapter 20 Jesus turned to the disciples and said, “Beware of these teachers of religious law! For they like to parade around in flowing robes and love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces. And they love the seats of honor in the synagogues and the head table at banquets. Yet, they shamelessly cheat widows out of their property and then pretend to be pious by making long prayers in public. Because of this they will be severely punished!”


Edify: Being religious is very different from being spiritual. Everything about the religious leaders of Jesus’ day shouted “Look at me, am I not something to behold?” Whereas Jesus was meek and lowly of heart. Jesus washed His disciples' feet….not the other way around. Religious people step up and love to be recognized. Spiritual people step down and choose to serve. Surround yourself with those who wash feet. And be absolutely sure that you are washing feet.


Practice: Step down. Choose to be least. Choose to be last. Choose to serve. Take the worst seat. Don’t tell people your title. Choose to operate from a meek and quiet spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment