September 15

Isaiah 19:1-21:17, Galatians 2:1-16, Psalm 59:1-17, Proverbs 23:13-14


Pray: Paul says it so nonchalantly that we will be sure to miss it if we’re not careful. In fact, the manner in which he states it implies that it’s so natural for him that it’s just in his character to do such a thing without even thinking about it. “I went there because God revealed to me that I should go” (Galatians 2:2a). There it is! He went because, quite simply, God wanted him to go. My prayer is that I would be so obedient that my obedience is more of a character trait than a choice, so that it would simply happen without really even thinking. When God asks me to do something, I just do that thing without hesitation. Will you join me in that prayer?


Read: The watchman in Isaiah 20 reminds me of different seasons of my life. I’ve stood on walls for long periods seemingly just so that I can stand on a wall some more. Have you ever felt like you were waiting on something to happen (maybe for God to move/speak, career to take off, life to get better, etc.)? Take heart, the watchman of God waited patiently and then proclaims, “Now at last - look!” Keep watch. The Lord will show up if we are looking for Him.


Edify: We continue our reading of various nations, their rebellion against the Lord, and the destruction that comes as a result of that rebellion. Yet, in the midst of such hard reading, we find not just a glimmer of hope, but a beacon. “When the people cry to the Lord for help against those who oppress them, he will send them a savior who will rescue them. The Lord will make himself known to [them]” (Isaiah 19:20b-21a). When we turn from our rebellion, when we cry out to the Lord, He hears us, sends us a Savior, and makes Himself known to us! Great news in the middle of such brokenness…ah, the Gospel!


Practice I’ve always found it fascinating that people as a whole want to dictate how others act and live their lives…mostly it should be how they themselves live their lives. Perhaps it stems from our sin nature, maybe it’s from a selfish or prideful point of view. Nevertheless, it shows up even in the local church, both then and now. Paul asks in Galatians 2:14 “…why are you now trying to make these Gentiles follow the Jewish traditions?” We cannot hold non-Christians accountable to Christian standards. Perhaps we would do better focusing on the log in our own eye…

No comments:

Post a Comment