October 14

Jeremiah 23:21-25:38, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-17, Psalm 84:1-12, Proverbs 25:15


Pray: Heavenly Father, thank You for Your grace and mercy. I receive the gift of Your grace today. Help me to be thankful for how You have moved in my life and shown me the path of peace. 


Read: (Psalm 84:1-4) "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of Heaven's Armies. I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the Lord. With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God. Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young at a place near your altar, O Lord of Heaven's Armies, my King and my God! What joy for those who can live in your house, always singing your praises."


Edify: Identity. We all identify with something and we get a measure of joy out of things that we feel included with. Whether it's your favorite sports team, where you work, or maybe where you went to college. There are lots of things we can feel connected to and feel like we "belong." In this Psalm we see the joy of experiencing and belonging to the dwelling place of the Lord. God has woven "worship" into our human experience because we were made to worship. Ultimately we are made to worship God. That is where true joy, peace, and strength are found. 


Practice: Make a list of the things you value. It can be people, possessions, sports, or anything you count as fulfilling. Now pray to God in a spirit of thankfulness, thanking Him for those blessings. We must also seek not to lift these things up as "ultimate" things. Today's obedience will be tomorrow's worship. What will you be obedient to today? Let us focus our daily efforts on God, be thankful for His blessings, and give Him our praise and worship that He is due.  

No comments:

Post a Comment